After a seemingly endless winter in Auckland, Spring is finally here. The promise of warmer weather and the longer days make everything seem more possible!
The positive side of the huge amount of rain we’ve had means lots of growth and new foliage, making this the perfect time to assess the garden and prepare for Summer. We’ve compiled a checklist of things to consider to get your garden Summer ready:
- Have mulches and composts putdown to feed and protect the soil / plants from evaporation.
- Have hedges and edges trimmed so they are looking smart for outdoor living and entrainment.
- Get herb and vegetable gardens prepared/filled with lots of organic matter prior to planting and/or re-planting.
- A regular spray programme if you have had thrip or mite damage in the past (discolouration of leaves,turned silver and/or Brown).
- If you have an irrigation system, look to ensure this is working efficiently – you can read more about this here.
- Irrigation to container plants.
- Let your gardener know when /if you will be away so they can take care of watering, containers and gardens.